Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reading: Paper Sculpture by George Borchard


Thoroughly illustrated in both color and black-and-white, this book shows how to learn the basic principles of working with paper and making more advanced designs which include innovative stars and angels for Christmas, St. George fearlessly confronting a paper dragon and lampshades built from paper. The author describes the progression from flat to complex, rounded shapes and explains how only simple tools are necessary to advance from the fundamentals - rolling paper into cylinders, scoring lines before bending paper, or using discs as the basis for more advanced shapes - to the intricate results that make paper sculpture an ingenious craft. Mr. Borchard gives hints for selecting paper suited to the various projects and offers helpful hints about correct surfaces to use for colored paper. An interesting history of paper sculpture's development as an art form is included. --- from book's dustjacket

6 comments:

paru's_circle said...

hope you are feeling better..,dear..i have been under the weather myself for quite awhile too! awesome stuff you always show us
u hve been tagged on my blog.. different srota tag
hugs
Px

~Esther said...

I found your blog through Brenda's blog Wiser by the Wrinkle. Your work is just beautiful. I will visit often.

Sueann said...

Hi La Donna...I have never visited your blog and it is wonderful. Love the paper as an art form book you are discussing. I may have to pic that up. Amazing sculptures!! And I do so love your work!
Hugs
SueAnn

Ms. Tee said...

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! I hope you're doing well - I'm trying to get caught back up on my blog reading. Have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

La Donna!

Have you seen Real Simple's 2009 Wedding magazine? It has beautiful paper sculptures in it! Haven't had time to figure out who did them, but they're pretty!

Kim :-)

La Belette Rouge said...

I can barely cut a coupon so you and other paper artists astound me with your talent.